Thursday, March 5, 2015

Reading Surge

I've been in a bit of a reading surge the last two weeks. When you fall in love with the works of an author you tend to read them all up like you are having a Netflix marathon. My online reading group voted and Dark Places was chosen.


It actually took me a few times starting it to really jump into the book. It is a lot darker than Gone Girl. Reading about dead children is never a light read. The story and the mystery was what had me hooked. One of the things I love about Flynn's writing is that the characters aren't wrapped up with prettly little bows at the end of the book. People are flawed. Also, she doesn't approach love and romance like so many other authors. 

As soon as I finished Dark Places, I downloaded Sharp Objects. I read it super quick. Sharp Objects was as dark as Dark Places, if not more so. Both were thrilling reads with main characters that were understandable, relatable, yet so screwed up that you wanted to read more. 


I stayed up later than usually just so I could finish Sharp Objects. I needed something new to take its place. Texas Mrs. posted yesterday that the book What Alice Forgot was one of her February Favorites. I'm now a few chapters in and it's a hit. I've read a few of Liane Moriartys other books and have liked them also. 


Have you read any great books recently?



8 comments:

  1. What Alice Forgot and Dark Places are both on my book club's list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gone Girl, though recommending it to my AP students caused quite the fiasco at the beginning of my school year. I have 8 weeks of my Master's in English left and then I'm binging on YA fiction for months, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all three Gillian Flynn books. Dark and twisty appeals to me in literature! I hope she comes out with another soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All 3 I would read in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked What Alice Forgot, the ending made me happy because it was unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both Gillian Flynn books are on my list to read. I love the dark twisted books, shows the flawed side of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read all the Gillian Flynn books, and Dark Places was my favorite of the three. I keep meaning to read a Liane Moriarty book - I see a bunch of people mentioning several of her books. I'm in an Aussie Author Challenge, and I picked one of hers...now I need to go look up which one it was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After seeing so many bloggers talk about What Alice Forgot, I added it to my to-read list. That's the best and worst thing about this link up, I'll never get through my to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my heart smile!