Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January Books (Hits and Misses)

January wasn't a big reading month for me. It probably has something to do with my new obsession with my bullet journal. However, I have read a few books and tried to read one. Here are those books.

What book have you read that I need to read? 

HIT

Goodreads Synopsis:
More than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia's teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss—a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed.

The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it.

My take:
It was a quick read because it was so good. I just love a good thriller. There were a few things that I wish would have gotten cleared up and some relationships just didn't make sense to me. With that said, I really liked it. 


MISS

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldwide. Its sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, published soon after was also a major international bestseller. Both were made into films starring RenĂ©e Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

Set in the present, the new novel will explore a different phase in Bridget's life with an entirely new scenario. As Helen Fielding has said: "If people laugh as much reading it as I am while writing it then we'll all be very happy."

My take: I couldn't even finish it. It didn't have the same Bridget Jones feel. I loved the other two Bridget Jones books but this one was a miss for me. 

HIT


Goodreads Synopsis: In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it’s falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you’re constantly reminded that no one looks like you.

My Take: I love reading Hollywood stories now and then. Add some funny and I love it even more. Right after finishing it I added her other book to my "to read" list. 

HIT




Goodreads Synopsis: 
Raised by working-class immigrant parents and later exposed to Hollywood's most elite experts in every field, Access Hollywood's,Today's, and Nightly News's reporter Maria Menounos reveals her EveryGirl secrets on everything: her systems to organize life, manage time, and ascend the ladder of success; her lazy woman's workout; her weight-loss tips (how she lost forty pounds and kept it off); and her guide to styling yourself like the stars—a self-proclaimed EveryGirl, Maria often does her own hair and makeup for celebrity events.

In The EveryGirl's Guide to Life, Maria shares personal experiences and photos from her life and professional journey as well as the various mantras, mottos, and philosophies she's adopted from the world's most impressive women. She gives advice on health, career, relationships, renovations, recreation, and more. From your carpet to the red carpet, Maria teaches the EveryGirl on a budget how to do it all, while living a healthier and happier life.

My take: It is basically like a really great blog in a book. So many great ideas! I have actually read this one in the past. It's been awhile so I picked up another copy of my own. It has some really smart and simple ways to improve your life. 



2 comments:

  1. Hello from WMM's linkup on Reading Wednesday. Pretty Girls, it is one that sounds like I could get into it. Every now and then I like reading a good thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard amazing thing about Mindy's books but haven't made the jump to actually get them. Maybe I will!! Thanks for linking up with us for Reading Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my heart smile!