Monday, February 13, 2017

We are TOO Old for Memphis/Garth Recap

My friends and I have a deep love for Garth Brooks. We went and saw him back in 2014 in St. Louis and we had a blast. We really loved St. Louis and the concert was amazing! When we heard he was going to be in Memphis we bought tickets right away. We've been counting down the days. Since Memphis is only less than 4 hours away we decided to just go for one night. We left a little before 8 am and it took us girls forever to get there. By the time we got there we had to hurry and get ready. The roadtrip part was so much fun but we never stopped for any actual food. The concert was during the day at 3 and we got to the hotel at 1:00. We gave ourselves 45 minutes to get dressed and down a few cocktails. We got ready and waited downstairs for the Uber. 

Our Uber driver was Abe. He was really cool and even let me use his phone to play the music we wanted to hear. Thankfully we didn't have to wait outside the Fedex Forum too long. We've never been there before and didn't realize our seats weren't as great as we thought. We had to walk up lots of steap stairs. 

The concert itself was AMAZING! We had a few cocktails at the concert but wanted to take it easy because no one wanted to have to run to the bathroom much. We had already decided before the concert that if after the concert we got separated we would meet in this one specific spot. I'm so glad we did that because there were so many people that our cellphones wouldn't work. When we got out of the forum it was pouring rain. I felt awful for the people waiting to get in for the next concert. You can't bring umbrellas in so no one had them. We met in our designated spot. 

At this point we were STARVING. We were super close to Beale street and the three of us have never been there. Well we turned the corner and there are people EVERYWHERE. The lines were so long and it was raining. The first restaurant we went into told us it would be an hour wait and we would have to wait outside. We quickly decided to call an Uber and just hit up a restaurant by our hotel. Our big night on Beale wasn't going to happen. 

Our next problem was our phones weren't working. There were just too many people in one area. We were starting to panic that we were going to be stuck. We walked around for a bit and finally was able to call an Uber. The drive to our hotel cost $64! They made a killing that night. We walked over to the restaurant and thankfully they had a table but they were very busy. It took forever just to get our appetizers. We decided to just leave after the appetizers. 

By the time we got back to the room we were just exhausted and we didn't want to leave the comfort of our room. We were seriously in the bed by 8:30. No one believed us because normally when us girls get together we make the most of it and stay out really late. 

The good part is that we were up super early and felt great. We made it back home before noon. We've decided that we just may be too old for Beale street. Our next trip will be this summer and we are thinking about going to either Dallas or Fort Worth. Any suggestions?

Here are the only few pictures I took. During the concert I wanted to completely focus. I'm so glad we got to see Garth again and although we didn't have our big night out, we still had a wonderful time. I got some great rest and we learned some great lessons on this trip-like make sure we eat. If we would have had an actual meal at some point we may would have been able to hang a little longer. If we even do Memphis again I want it to be a not busy time and no rain, please and thank you. 

What is the best concert you have ever been to? 





7 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the perspective on going out and having a good time changes? Sounds like you had a fun time with your friends! Over the years, I've been to a lot of concerts in different venues from Houston to San Antonio to Amarillo and my best would be a tie between two. The first was driving 5 hours with my daughter and her friend who were then 8 and 12 and had crushes on DC Talk and we ended up actually getting to meet them backstage and have photos/autographs with them!The second: Fast forward to a few years ago when I got to see my favorite--Jars of Clay who came to my small town and the concert was very close up and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun! I'm not so great at concerts because the lights and sound often give me migraines, but I still enjoy them from time to time. I'm hoping to take my daughter to see some of her favorite musicians soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went and saw Garth Brooks with my husband and another couple when he was in Columbus last year. It was little over a hours drive, we both got sitters, ate at an amazing Brazilian Restaurant and then went to the concert. It was a great time! I haven't had a girls night out with a concert in forever. I need to change that. I would probably be in the hotel bed too, watching movies and ordering in...Things do change the older you get! and that's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garth was my first concert ever, I was 12!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had so much fun! It's amazing what happens as we get older...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coldplay, hands down. All three times. The last time I saw them was in Louisville and we drove back that night since it's just under two hours. I thought I was gonna die at work the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go and see Garth! I'm sorry the weather wasn't great and the food options were so crowded. I hate that! I always enjoy trying new food when we are out of town so I'm sure that was disappointing. I'm sure you're already looking forward to your next girl's trip. I've been to Memphis a couple of times and their zoo is amazing!! I also loved our trip to Graceland.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my heart smile!