Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Oh May

May is such an odd month for a teacher. You are working but everything feels extra hard because summer is within reach. Each day at school there is something going on-field trips, programs, awards, field day, testing, and celebrations. The days feel long because the finish line is within your grasp.

The kids are over it and so are the teachers. It really tests your endurance.

It is also exciting. Being around these little people who are enjoying all these fun activities makes for a joyous heart. Plus, in May it is like the school takes a simultaneous release of air and everyone can breathe a little easier.

We are down to eight days. Eight days!

Although I fail at summer, I'm starting to gain a new perspective. Sometimes writing it all out is just what you need to see your solution.

I'm actually getting excited about summer. I'm making lists of things I want to accomplish and things that I think will be fun. I can't wait to get started on everything and share it with everyone.

I learned that I was looking at summer the wrong way (which I typically do). I was seeing what I was going to lose- the schedule, the structure, the motivation, and not focusing on what I will be gaining-the freedom, the time to focus on me, and the opportunity for fun.

Summer, in eight days I'm coming for you.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for single digit count downs!! May is a wild time for teachers. Glad you're in the home stretch and I like your new freedom outlook for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what May is like to teachers! There is so much going on. I feel like we haven't stopped since the beginning of May. But, yay for summer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my heart smile!